Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Remy Ma's sentence




If you've looked at my blog profile, you'd know that Remy Ma is one of my favorite rappers right now, and as of the beginning of 2008, is currently in jail. Back in 2007 she was arrested for shooting a friend outside of a nightclub in New York, when found guilty, the possible jail terms ranged from 8 to 25 years in jail, but luckily, managed to get 8 ( though it could have been 3 had she pleaded guilty). This may seem like a light sentence to give someone who had been charged with attempted murder, assault and criminal possesion of a weapon, but compared to rapper T.I.'s sentence of one year and a day in jail for illegally purchasing machine guns and ammo, seems unfair. Fellow NY rapper Lil Kim was given the same sentence of a year and a day as T.I., and for a similar crime to both. Why then was Remy Ma given a 7 times longer a sentence? Her lawyer, Ivan Fisher had defended very wealthy clients, and she had confessed to the crime, though she had pleaded innocent. Do you think Remy Ma deserved the 8 year sentence?

2 comments:

  1. Buying guns and killing people are two completely different things. A sentence for attempted murder should be longer than possession of illegal weapons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. I was thinking it had something to do with more fame when I wrote this, and I always thought that they were both similar crimes. If Remy wasn't one of my favorite rappers, then the post would have been more harsh, but yeah i agree with you that attempted murder should mean a longer sentence.

    ReplyDelete