Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Question (a bus ride, rap, and an "excursion")

So a bunch of English Classes are on the way to see twelfth night at Navy Pier, and I can't really find anywhere to sit on the bus, so I grabbed whatever seat I could find. Then this guy from my English class starts running towards the bus, and takes the only open seat he can find, which is next to me. Now I knew of this guy, but not well, and I didn't even remember his name. As the bus takes off, and the kid next to me talks to his friends in the seat across the aisle, I realize my pants are wet, and I looked up to see a leak in the roof, right above my seat, thinking "how could this get any worse?" The other girls were wearing heels and dresses and carrying fancy-looking purses, like they were on a date with some popular college guy instead of a freshman class from the north shore on a field trip (or "excursion", as New Trier calls it) to Navy Pier. I wished I'd made an effort to look nicer, instead of just throwing on some presentable looking top and jeans. Problem is, I don't even own a regular skirt, and I'm kind of a tomboy, as I only wear dresses on Halloween for a costume, or If I go to prom or some other formal dance.The outfit I'd chosen was getting soaked on one side of me, while the boy on the other side was debating about the bible with some idiots in front of us. My face is pressed to the window, admiring the blank-gray sky, since blank gray days are less peppy than an in-your-face sunshiny day. I notice the boy tapping a beat on the back of the seat in front, which was pretty cool. I hadn't talked to him yet, so I decided to make some conversation: "What music do you like?" He states that classic rap is his favorite, leading me to jump in with an enthusiastic "Same! which rappers?" He names Tupac, and we discuss the songs we know and love by him. I ask about Kanye West, and soon we're talking autotune, and how many rappers can't do it right, like T-Pain. He even says "hip hop is dead" including Nas in the mix now. I ask about female rappers, and now Missy Elliott and Queen Latifah are in the scene. According to him, B.I.G's "great" Jay Z's "the best" and P-Diddy's amazing (which was a surprise to me, as I think him a sell-out). But it was interesting how he was willing to listen to every rapper, no matter who was feuding with whom, which is how it is with me. during the conversation, he says to me, "you're the only person who actually likes classic rap" and i felt the same way. I mean, he actually knows who public enemy is while many others I've asked about music don't even know Missy Elliott exists.

He invited me to hang out with some of his friends after the play at the food court, and i went along, not having many new trier friends, but being a somewhat distrusting person, i walked away after lunch, which i think pissed him off. (I've had a history of being burned by "friendly" seeming groups, so i was hesitant) I felt guilty about that, and the way home, we were silent. I looked out at the beautifully murky sky, while he talked with the people in front. I swear, I heard him mention "california love" once to them though.

No comments:

Post a Comment