Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Summer

I become the geek, nose buried deep in a graphic novel, strolling through
shelves of comics and MAD magazines losing touch with reality as I pick up a few and read
past pages where the heroes triumph over evil--I give romance novels sour looks like they were cigarettes---addictive and trashy reads are better left for the comic world where villains can waste away the free three months I have

Where I want to be the bubble gum pink-girl, when I can paint pictures with light, sunny pastel shades and sign my name with mascara, forget books for a moment---I'd rather file my disheveled nails instead of old assignments---I can turn back to the playing cards colored red/black polish of '04 back in the days when I was out of touch with the rest of the world

I become the hermit, alone and by herself on hot summer nights when kids appear with jars, armed with nets and cupped hands ready to catch fireflies---I'm locked up in my room--my own prisoner, painting, music blaring so loud it feels like the artist is right there, humming the familiar melodies in my ears, high on the night, I'll sing along as the same track plays back.

I'm alone, that is, until a friend calls---then I'm gone

I'm free after the five hour classes---the school stress crammed inside a few short weeks like clothes in an overstuffed suitcase. For now, I'll change sides--the chameleon of summer who changes moods and personas at will

This summer, I'll be realistic with my idealistic thoughts and plans
still, like a deck of cards, my thoughts will just keep shuffling around

No comments:

Post a Comment